Articles

13/07/2014

On Shit...

Well, I've had better nights.

Found a place in Hyde Park under a tree which is, as Im still standing here, sheltered from the wind and rain by leafy branches. The only real issue is the dirt floor which is as comfortable as...well...a dirt floor. Brushes off easily and is dry though so its not like laying in a mud puddle despite the rain.

I miscalculated slightly when it came to temperature though. It was boiling during the day but when it got dark it also got chill. Put my coat and jumper, both of which I was using as a blanket, back on and my flesh was still chill.

Tempted to buy some matches sometime today and make a fire tomorrow. Better than being cold.

I mean, I dealt with it mentally as its the same as pain which I long ago got used to switching off at will, but it was hard to sleep and not pleasant.

I don't feel as bad as I would've if I had simply stayed awake all night and wandered about listening to The Iron Druid Chronicles on my music player, but I'll be glad when I'm back in the hostel tomorrow.

Needless to say I'm hating my life quite a bit right now and wondering if it'll ever improve. If this attempt to join the police will pan out and to what end. Not surprising really given that sleeping under the tree doesn't precisely inspire feelings of self-confidence.

I did something like this before, about 4-5 years ago, except it was a bitter cold winter, I had luggage with me, and I opted to staying awake instead of camping out somewhere.

And there was me thinking after I dug myself out of it that I'd never do it again if it could be avoided. And low, what does the universe give me?

I'm resigned to just trying to make the best of it these days though. Sometimes I have what I want - good TV, good food, and comfortable if not lavish surroundings - and sometimes I get this.

Life is fucking shit for some people, I just wish I wasn't one of them.

Going to get some food of some sort, something hot maybe, and then spend the day reading in a local book store.

I would like to stay somewhere warmer tonight but I can't think where such a place may be.

Maybe just getting some extra towels and things from my luggage in the hostel might be an idea. I've got plenty and cocooning myself in them might be OK.