Articles

02/06/2014

On Lack of Sleep and a Game played with Thrones...

Morning.

It's currently 8:43am.

Haven't slept since I last posted.

Have watched the newest episode of Game of Thrones [S04E08], had a shave, and showered though.

It's stupid and annoying but for some reason my sleep pattern tends to lean towards sleeping from 5am till 1pm, and I feel more motivated to do what I'm meant to be doing when I'm so tired I'm seeing a purple haze before my eyes.

Going to go to the hypermarket [food store] for breakfast and do my weekly shopping in a moment because firstly I need to replenish the stores and secondly I'm starving and run out of most food which isn't just salad, and you don't eat just salad for breakfast.

Never did get that workout, but I did take care of some other business so that's OK. I'll do everything that doesn't need thought by riding a caffeine surfeit, get some snooze, then put Mr. Brain to task.

---

As a final thought to this morning; I'm really enjoying series four of Game of Thrones. I stopped reading the books about three or four volumes in because mostly it's just the same cycle of death games over and over and I got bored.

The TV series is far more interesting, especially when Dinklage is doing his award deserving performance of The Imp.

Somehow the almost philosophical scenes on the show are everything the book isn't. Set pieces of sometimes quite horrible but nevertheless beautiful art are showcased in such a way as to actually impact the viewer.

I've watched Hannibal and, bar one r two scenes of exquisite bestial artistry, mostly you start to ignore the horrible sights and sounds the show displays as desensitization sets in.

Not so with Game of Thrones. You don't expect it until you see it, and then somehow it's bold text in a paragraph, a fitting climax after a smooth build, rather than a capitalized statement with too much emphasis that it's what you expect, rather than something you marvel at.

Art is in fact the best way to describe Game of Throne's choreography and narrative. The only issue I have really is that, for me at least, the show can sometimes be very predictable.

*SPOILER*

In S04E08 for example.

I could see very clearly that when he didn't strike The Mountain down when he stabbed him, finished him off, that he was going to die by a surprise attack from the man. And I knew this on the basis that it couldn't happen any other way. The scene wasn't set up so The Mountain would be killed and that'd be that. They had made it too clear that his emotions would distract him. Of course, making anything personal instead of business, especially in games of mortality, is how you lose, fact and subsequent loss of life. But I'm not saying it wasn't good, I just expected it before I even saw this episode.

Maybe it was just me...

*SPOILER*

Anyway, one of the better shows currently on TV.

Along with The Blacklist and James Mother-Fucking Spader.

Going to get breakfast.